Dental implants are a safe, effective method to replace one tooth or every tooth. A dental implant is a small titanium screw or rod that is surgically implanted directly into the jaw bone of a healthy patient by a highly skilled implant dentist in West Loop. Over the next six or eight months the implant becomes one with the bone, the result is an artificial tooth root which is then topped with a crown. Implants can also be used to anchor a denture.
There are a number of advantages and benefits to implants, including:
- A restoration supported by a dental implant is as strong as the natural tooth it replaced; you will have almost the same chewing power as you had prior to the implant.
- An implant is a stand-alone replacement tooth. Unlike a bridge, there is no need to grind adjacent teeth which of course, weakens them.
- Dental implants look and function like natural teeth.
- A dental implant prevents the loss of bone. It is a bone loss that tends to make the person appear older as the face tends to sag and change shape.
- An implant keeps teeth on either side in position, preventing them from changing your teeth alignment.
- There is no need for denture adhesive as they are never removed, unlike a denture.
The advantages of dental implants over a conventional bridge:
Dental bridges have been used for years to bridge the gap where teeth are missing. A dental bridge has one serious drawback that implants do not. To fit a bridge, the teeth on either side must be ground down; this provides space for mounting the bridge. Grinding the teeth compromises them; this can easily lead to decay and fracture. As well as this drawback, a dental bridge will rarely last more than 10 years while dental implants can last a lifetime if well maintained.
Dental implants are far superior to a bridge or denture. If you would like to discuss the advantages and benefits with an implant dentist in West Loop you are welcome to arrange an appointment with Washington Dental Care.